October 28, 2011

Week 43 - Dummy Munny (with mini dummy dummy)


SOLD!



I've always had a fascination with puppets. Not ventriloquism specifically, but puppets in a more general sense. It started when I was a young boy participating in a summer program at a living museum where I pretended to be a boy in the 19th century at a school house. One day I found a duck marionette. I played with that thing every free moment and I got pretty good at walking it around and pecking at things that the person acting as the school teacher would have me perform with my duck for visitors to the museum.

Out of the blue in 2007 I got the idea that I should start making muppet-style puppets and did just that. I created 12 puppets that all went on to star in a year's worth of videos on YouTube including a holiday spectacular including 12 video's every other day leading up to Christmas. Shortly after their first birthday the novelty wore off and artistic differences between the other puppeteer and I meant an end to the videos. (Just YouTube 'The Grupples" to see that unintentional year-long project.)

In 2009 my puppet skills made a short come-back for one night only as I created a Grupple in the likeness of my room-mate and friend for her senior showcase inspired by the Broadway musical, Avenue Q.

Puppets have recently taken a back seat to Munnys (go figure) in 2011 but who knows.... I've got a big plastic container sitting in storage with a bunch of characters just aching to get out and stretch their felt. 

The next Munny will be posted on November 4th (unless there is some kind of holiday coming up that might warrant an early Munny post. wink wink) If there is a Munny you would like to see to round out the year, leave a comment below or shoot me at e-mail at gbowdler@gmail.com.

      

Jump to the MUNNDEX.

No comments:

Post a Comment