July 4, 2011

Week 27 - Hotdog!

SOLD!


Congrats to Joey Chestnut!!! 5-time winner of the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest! (62 hotdogs... way to go!)

If you know anything about me, you know that I'm not a huge sports fan (which is ironic, considering I make part of my living working in the sports industry) However, for the past decade, since I discovered competitive eating, I've become a huge fan of the sport*. The IFOCE (International Federation of Competitive Eating) has become my NFL, The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest held each year on the 4th of July is my Super Bowl and Joey Chestnut is my Aaron Rodgers. (2011 Super Bowl MVP if you are as sports clueless as I am)

I don't know how much you know about the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, but from the year 2001 through 2006, the mustard yellow belt (think of the WWF title belt here) went to a fierce competitor named Takeru Kobayashi of Japan. He was throwing up numbers of hotdogs that had been unheard of. (The winner of 2000 put away 25 hotdogs... the next year Kobayashi doubled it with 50... in 12 minutes.)

It seemed that nobody could beat him... or come even close, until in 2007 a skinny white boy from california went dog for dog with the champion and in the last minute pulled ever so slightly ahead and brought the mustard yellow belt back to American soil for the first time this millennia. He won by 3 hotdogs. (66 hotdogs total!!!) That boy was Joey "Jaws" Chestnut. Since then, Chestnut has defended America's pride (Much like Captain America) by keeping all other nations at bay... at least in terms of hotdog consumption.

The next Munny will be posted on July 15th. It will be magical... i promise. ;) If there is a Munny you would like to see, leave a comment on this, or any, post or shoot me an e-mail to gbowdler@gmail.com.

One last fun fact for you... from 2001 through 2011 there have been exactly 1121.5 hotdogs consumed by just the 1st and 2nd place winners during the competition. Holy Hot Dog!

*Yes. Competitive eating is a sport, as it fits the definition of the word, sport (Use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina, often in a competitive nature) Cheerleading and bowling are still up for debate. ;)

      

Jump to the MUNNDEX.


No comments:

Post a Comment